Sunday, June 06, 2010

A lovely Quote

I loved the Tale of Despereaux, by Kate DiCamillo which Nick and I read together a couple of years ago. I totally agree with her about the power of a bookseller.

This is from Shelf Awareness:

"Who was that bookseller who thought, 'Here is an almost-eight-year-old
girl who loves Abraham Lincoln. What other book will she love? Oh, yes.
This book about a cricket.'? There was nothing logical about that
decision. It was a leap of faith. Those two books changed me. Together,
they cemented an idea in my eight-year-old heart. That idea was this: It
doesn't matter how small, how lonely, how broken or sad or poor you are.
There is a way to make yourself heard. There is a way to sing. A
bookseller put those books into my mother's hands, and my mother put
them into mine. Sometimes we forget that this simple, physical gesture
can change lives. I want to remind you that it does. I want to thank you
because it did."

--Kate DiCamillo, winner of the 2010 Indies Choice Award for Most
Engaging Author, at ABA's Celebration of Bookselling Luncheon during
BEA.
Bookselling this Week

noted that DiCamillo's acceptance speech, "Booksellers Make the
Difference," is available as a downloadable two-page PDF.

No comments: