Wednesday, April 20, 2011

More Tidbits

"It is necessary to write, if the days are not to slip
emptily by. How else, indeed, to clap the net over the
butterfly of the moment? For the moment passes, it is
forgotten; the mood is gone; life itself is gone. That
is where the writer scores over his fellows: he catches
the changes of his mind on the hop."

~ Vita Sackville-West

From Shelf Awareness:

Flavorwire showcased the 10 most badly bungled classic-book-to-film
adaptations including the "wacky, flatulent 3-D family comedy version of Gulliver's
Travels" that was released on DVD yesterday.
http://www.shelf-awareness.com/ct/uz3642037Biz10930638


---

Bookshelf/kitten video of the day
http://www.shelf-awareness.com/ct/uz3642037Biz10930639,
courtesy of the Book Lady's Blog, which vowed that this "is the
first--and probably the only--time I'm posting a cat video. But it's
Wednesday, and we all need a break, right?"

I think this is a marvelous idea from the designer who created one of the sexiest men's colognes I've ever smelled on a man, my husband, back when I first met him in 1989. Now I would LOVE it if he'd buy me this cologne that smells like a book!
Karl Lagerfeld, fashion designer, artist, photographer and book lover,
plans to open a bookstore in New York City together with Gerhard Steidl,
who has published many of his books and with whom he has an imprint
called Edition 7L, according to the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung
.

Called Word and Image, the store would highlight Steidl titles as well
as books from other publishers chosen by Lagerfeld and build on what has
been a profitable business in Lagerfeld's 7L bookstore in Paris: selling
custom libraries to readers. Steidl told the paper that the best
location for the store would be in lower Manhattan near the New Museum
on the Bowery.

One title to be carried is a sweet novelty: a hardcover book called
Paper Passion whose interior will be hollowed out to hold a container of
a new perfume with the same name that smells of paper--an idea Lagerfeld
had while leafing through the new Chanel catalog.

Finally, I wrote this letter to the founder of Luna Guitars on Monday:

Dear Ms Yvonne,
I just wanted to drop you a line and say that your guitars are the most beautiful instruments I've ever seen! They look more like pieces of art than instruments, yet they clearly function perfectly in making music while being aesthetically pleasing, especially to women.
I was thrilled to see you add my favorite symbol of transformation and rebirth, the butterfly, to your guitars, and I hope that one day I will be able to afford to buy one for myself, and fulfill a dream I've had since I was a teenager in the 1970s of playing guitar like Ann and Nancy Wilson of "Heart."
Thank you, also, for your lovely catalogs, which I've spent hours poring over and enjoying, not just for the guitars but for the stories of those who own them and play them.
What a wonderful legacy you've made in creating Luna guitars.
Thank you, again.
Sincerely,
DeAnn Rossetti

She responded on Tuesday with this lovely letter (though I love their guitars, $400-600 per instrument is not really affordable):

Dear DeAnn......

Wow! You just made my day = )

Thank you for your lovely and kind words. It's hearing from players like you that keeps me going! We have tried really hard to keep our instruments accessible, so I hope that you will soon be holding a Butterfly in your arms and living your dream!

Warm wishes,

Yvonne

Yvonne de Villiers
Creative Director/Designer
Luna Guitars
4924 W. Waters Ave.
Tampa, FL 33634
800-793-5273
yvonne@lunaguitars.com
"Join the Luna Tribe!"

No comments: