Friday, August 05, 2011

Yet Another Reason to Visit Salinas, California

BookSmart in Morgan Hill, Calif., will open a new branch
http://www.shelf-awareness.com/ct/uz3642037Biz11515770
at the National Steinbeck Center in Salinas this fall. Colleen Finegan
Bailey, the center's executive director, told the Monterey County Weekly
that selecting an indie for the space was "both a response to the
impending closure of Sand City's Borders, and a nod to the center's
community-oriented vision."

"The big-box model of bookstores is going away, but the smaller,
independent bookstore model is catching on," she added. "The store will
offer not just Steinbeck books, but general-interest books that meet the
needs of the Salinas community."

BookSmart's co-owners Brad Jones and Cinda Meister "were impressed by
the Steinbeck Center and the Oldtown Salinas Association at a July 28
business mixer," the Weekly noted. "I heard, 'How can everybody in this
room help you succeed?' That's something I've never heard spoken that
way before," said Jones.

I found this tidbit interesting, as I am a big fan of kick-butt librarians in fiction. From Shelf Awareness Pro:
The Mary Sue website showcased 10 Action Librarians
http://www.shelf-awareness.com/ct/uz3642037Biz11515780, noting that
despite the traditional stereotypes for the profession, "there are
plenty of kick ass librarians in fiction!... This week's Grid is
dedicated to the runners up, and to the reference librarian who didn't
bat an eye when I asked her where I could find books on Slavic Folklore,
prison tattoos, and Marine snipers (preferably autobiographies)

This is great news, as I am also a big fan of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which was one of my favorite books a few years back. And Kenneth Branagh and I almost shared a birthday, except he was born on Dec 10, 1960 and I was born on Dec 12, 1960...plus I was born in Iowa, he in Ireland. I sincerely hope he directs this film, because I think he'd do a fine job of bringing this beloved story and characters to life.
Variety reported that Fox 2000 "is circling" Kenneth Branagh
http://www.shelf-awareness.com/ct/uz3642037Biz11515798 to direct The
Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, based on the novel by
Annie Barrows and Mary Ann Shaffer. The movie, which is being produced
by Paula Mazur and Mitchell Kaplan (owner of Books & Books in Miami)
from a script by Dan Roos, is expected to begin production in the
spring.

No comments: