Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Happy 12/12/12 Birthday!

Today is a rare birthday for me, as it is on 12/12/12, something that will only happen once in my lifetime. The fact that I turn 52 seems of little consequence in light of that, and of the fact that the Mayans are saying the world will end on 12/21/12, so I've only got a week to enjoy being 52 before it's curtains!
Anyroad, it has been a great birthday so far, with a Dr Who theme to my day starting with all the presents from my husband Jim and my son Nick.
I got a TARDIS cookie jar (it is bigger on the inside!) that makes the whooshing sound when you open it, a TARDIS hat to keep my head warm this winter, a Dr Who calendar and 50th anniversary Dr Who planner featuring all the Doctors, which is really exciting, a Dr Who safe for all the things I need to keep hidden, and some Jelly babies/jelly beans made by Jelly Belly, of course! YUM!
I also got a new android phone, a hot water bottle (which I will use for keeping Crohn's cramps at bay) and some delicious Market Spice tea! All around, an exciting birthday.

Here's some quotes and info from Shelf Awareness this week:

"An Italian reader wrote to describe how he met his wife. She was on a
bus, reading one of my books, one that he himself had just finished.
They started talking, they started meeting. They now have three
children. I wonder how many people owe their existence to their parents'
love of books."

--Author Ian McEwan
http://www.shelf-awareness.com/ct/uz3642037Biz15362548
in the New York Times about the best fan letter he had ever received.

I am proud to say that same-sex marriage was approved for Washington state during the election last month, so now I can be proud of where I live now and where I was born and raised, as Iowa approved same-sex marriage many years ago!

Elliott Bay Book Company
http://www.shelf-awareness.com/ct/uz3642037Biz15362579,
Seattle, Wash., posted this charming photo on Facebook this weekend,
explaining: "We were honored this morning to have our first same-sex
marriage in the store! Congratulations Amy and Jeri!!"


I totally agree with Jennifer on this, the last part of her book brahmin interview:
Book that changed your life:

To Kill A Mockingbird. I remember finishing it at our dining room table
and closing the cover. I looked around my house, which seemed strangely
flat and unfamiliar. I knew right then and there that I wanted to be
able to do this--to become a storyteller who could create such an
intensely magical world that when the reader put the book down, the real
world would feel bland.

Favorite line from a book:

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions
of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to
dream." --from The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson.

Book you most want to read again for the first time:

John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany. Irving is such an incredible
writer and this book blew me away--making me think about faith and fate
in whole new ways.
Jennifer McMahon http://www.shelf-awareness.com/ct/uz3642037Biz15391571 is the author of six novels, including Promise Not to Tell and Island of Lost Girls.

Here's my Holiday Book List of books I am looking for, or waiting for in the new year:

The Lost Art of Mixing by Erica Bauermeister
Scent of Magic by Maria V Snyder
Elemental Magic by Mercedes Lackey
A Cat, a Hat and a Piece of String by Joanne Harris
Finding Camlan by Sean Pidgeon
A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper
Hello Goodbye Hello by Craig Brown
Sutton by JR Moeringer
I Love Cinnamon Rolls by Judith Fretig
Necessity's Child by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller

No comments: