Sunday, December 31, 2023

Happy New Year's Eve to My Fellow Bibliophiles!, The Mimicking of Known Successes by Malka Older, Ruthless Vows by Rebecca Ross, The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall, and My Current Bedside TBR

 It's New Year's Eve, fellow bibliophiles, and that means that this is the last post of book reviews for 2023, which was a really tough year. That said, I'm glad that I survived it and was able to read over 145 books and review them here. My journey toward one thousand posts will continue into 2024, where I should get to 900 by March and 950 by the end of the year (I hope).

I'm also looking forward to more streaming series based on books, like the Jack Reacher program that will be finishing its 2nd season and going into its third season in 2024, along with Only Murders in the Building and, of course, Doctor Who with the magnificent Ncuti Gatwa as the Doctor and Star Trek Discovery's fifth and final season, along with Strange New Worlds next season. There's supposedly even more Star Trek offshoots coming our way, with a show based at Starfleet Academy and one called Legends and an in-depth look at the legacy of Star Trek Voyager, helmed by my favorite Captain Janeway, played by the impeccable Kate Mulgrew.

At Any rate, here's some reviews:

The Mimicking of Known Successes by Malka Older is a science fiction/mystery/lesbian romance that reads like Sherlock Holmes, the SF women's version. 

Here's the blurb: The Mimicking of Known Successes presents a cozy Holmesian murder mystery and sapphic romance, set on Jupiter, by Malka Older, author of the critically-acclaimed Centenal Cycle.

On a remote, gas-wreathed outpost of a human colony on Jupiter, a man goes missing. The enigmatic Investigator Mossa follows his trail to Valdegeld, home to the colony’s erudite university—and Mossa’s former girlfriend, a scholar of Earth’s pre-collapse ecosystems.

Pleiti has dedicated her research and her career to aiding the larger effort towards a possible return to Earth. When Mossa unexpectedly arrives and requests Pleiti’s assistance in her latest investigation, the two of them embark on a twisting path in which the future of life on Earth is at stake—and, perhaps, their futures, together.

The prose was similar to Conan Doyle's antique wordsmithing, while still allowing for revelations that were distinctly modern. the plot was also fascinating and swept along like a Japanese Bullet Train. Though I'm not usually a fan of dense prose that outlines all the character's feelings, in detail, I loved these particular characters enough to push through the posh British prose and enjoy all of it's well-edited 166 pages. I'd give this novel a B+ and recommend it to anyone who likes diverse retellings of classic books.

Ruthless Vows by Rebecca Ross is the delicious sequel to Divine Rivals, a book that I read in hardcover several months ago, and I loved it so much I could hardly wait for Ruthless Vows to hit the shelves. This fantasy/romance/mythological revamp is so engrossing and filled with fascinating characters that I couldn't put it down. Here's the blurb:

No comments: