Friday, July 29, 2011

First Nook Book and alot of Shelf Awareness Tidbits

All these tidbits are gleaned from the lovely Shelf Awareness or Shelf Awareness for Readers, which I adore.
I actually have a copy of "The Imperfectionists" that I've not had a chance to read yet, but I imagine this author is spot on about his perception of those of us who make our living as journalists:Tom Rachman, author of The Imperfectionists, chose his top 10
journalist's tales
http://www.shelf-awareness.com/ct/uz3642037Biz11462771
for the Guardian and noted that "generally, depictions of the journalist
fall into two categories: journalist as hero or the journalist as rat.
Neither fit my own experience."

Why do I always feel like I've written worse than the Bulwar-Lytton Winner?
A "disturbing description" by American academic Sue Fondrie won this
year's Bulwer-Lytton prize for bad writing
http://www.shelf-awareness.com/ct/uz3642037Biz11462793,
the Guardian reported. The winning submission: "Cheryl's mind turned
like the vanes of a wind-powered turbine, chopping her sparrow-like
thoughts into bloody pieces that fell onto a growing pile of forgotten
memories."

This was the shortest winning sentence in the history of the award,
"proving that bad writing need not be prolix, or even very wordy," said
the organizers. Fittingly enough, Fondrie relayed her feelings about the
win through her Twitter account: "My life is a little brighter knowing
I'm the Worst Writer of 2011. It's only fitting that someone who teaches
people how to teach would be a bad-writing winner."

The next time my family drives to Portland, we are staying at the Nines Hotel! I want access to this library!
Book Candy: Vacations for Readers, Cover Archive
If "vacation" to you means "read all the time," you'll want to check out this Life Goes Strong feature on Five Great Vacations for Readers. From the Nines Hotel in Portland, Ore., with a Library Room curated by the superb independent bookseller Powell's, to the very cool "Hot Type" program at Las Ventanas al Paraiso in Los Cabos, Mexico, writer Irene S. Levine has collected some delightfully different options for readers who might not want to take part in a group retreat. http://play.lifegoesstrong.com/5-great-vacations-readers

Two of my favorite things: eating and reading come together:
"During summer vacation, part of me wants to spend my hard-earned
sheckles traveling the world and eating amazing food. The other part of
me just wants to lie on the couch with a good book. Now... I can do
both," noted NPR's Susan Gilman in recommending five new food memoirs
http://www.shelf-awareness.com/ct/uz3642037Biz11471646
that "are about love affairs with food, and the journeys that led their
authors into the kitchen."

Peter Beagle seriously deserves this award:
The World Fantasy Awards Lifetime Achievement Winners for 2011, honoring
people who have shown "outstanding service to the fantasy field," are
Peter S. Beagle and Angelica Gorodischer. They will be celebrated
at this year's World Fantasy Convention
http://www.shelf-awareness.com/ct/uz3642037Biz11471661, to be held October 27-30 in
San Diego, Calif.

Beagle is best known for The Last Unicorn and for the screenplay he
wrote for the animated film of the same name. He works include his first
novel, A Fine and Private Place, his YA novel Tamsin and his recent
story collection, Sleight of Hand. Gorodischer, who lives in Argentina,
is best known for her short story collection Kalpa Imperial.

Also, nominees for the World Fantasy Awards
http://www.shelf-awareness.com/ct/uz3642037Biz11471662
in eight categories have been announced and can be voted on by members.

The first book I've read on my Nook e-reader is "Tolstoy and the Purple Chair" and I am filling the pages of my journal with a variety of great quotes from the book about readers and books and bibliophiles, friends, grief and joy. I love it so much I honestly think I am going to have to find a used 'dead tree' copy for my shelves.

No comments: